SHOP INGREDIENTS FOR THIS RECIPE
(V) Stir-Fried Assorted Vegetable Rice Mix
(V) Stir-Fried Assorted Vegetable Rice Mix (Bibimbap, 비빔밥)
Bibim Bap is literally mixed rice. Bibim means mixing and bab is cooked rice. It is typically served with various stir-fried vegetable and gochujang (Korean chilli paste) sauce. However, if you do not want spicysauce you can always use mild sauce such as Soy sauce.
- 3 cups short grain rice
- Rice: 3 cups short grain riceToppings: , (300g), spinach (1 bunch), 2 small courgettes, 2 carrots, 4tsp mincedgarlic, 3 spring onions (chopped), sesame oil, sesame seeds, salt,pepper, vegetable oil, 4 eggs, soy sauceBibimbap sauce: 4 tsp Korean red chili paste (gochujang),1 tsp sugar, 1 tsp sesame oil, 3 tsp water or alternatively, you can useour Vinegary Chilli Sauce (300g)
- Shiitake mushrooms for a vegetarian dish
- 300 g beansprouts
- 1 bunch spinach
- 2 small courgettes
- 2 carrots
- 4 tsp minced garlic
- 3 chopped spring onion
- sesame oil
- sesame seeds
- Cook the rice in a rice cooker or following package directions, using a little less water than called for. The rice for bibimbap should be a little drier than usual for best results.
- Beansprouts: Bring 1 cup of water to a boil with a teaspoon of salt. Add the bean sprouts and boil for 3 minutes. Drain quickly and shock in cold water to stop cooking. Drain again. Toss with 1 teaspoon of minced garlic, 2 teaspoons of sesame oil, 1/2 teaspoon of sesame seeds, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Spinach: Blanch the spinach in salted boiling water only until wilted, 30 – 40 seconds. Drain quickly and shock in cold water. Squeeze out water. Cut into 3-inch lengths. Toss with 1 tablespoon of chopped spring onion, 1 teaspoon minced garlic, 1 teaspoon of sesame oil, 1/2 teaspoon of sesame seeds and salt and pepper to taste.
- Courgette: Cut the courgette in half lengthwise and then thinly slice crosswise. Generously sprinkle salt over sliced courgette and set aside for 10 – 15 minutes. Squeeze out excess liquid from salted courgette by hand. Add 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic, 1 teaspoon sesame oil and 1/2 teaspoon sesame seeds. Sauté in a lightly oiled pan for 1 – 2 minutes over medium high heat.
- Carrots: Julienne the carrots. Sauté in a lightly oiled pan for 1 – 2 minutes over medium-high heat, sprinkling salt and pepper to taste.
- Combine all of the sauce ingredients in a small bowl and mix thoroughly.
- Place a serving of rice in a big bowl. Nicely arrange a small amount of each prepared vegetable on the rice. Drizzle a little sesame oil over. Top with an fried egg if prefer and serve with the sauce.