SHOP INGREDIENTS FOR THIS RECIPE
(V) Stir-Fried Glass Noodle
(V) Stir-Fried Glass Noodle (Japchae, 잡채)
Japchae is a traditional Korean dish, made with mainly sweet potato noodles and stir-fried vegetable in a soy sauce- based sauce. You can add beef (Sirloin or Rib eye) if prefer. You will surely enjoy its taste as well as its beautiful colours.
- 250 g Korean potato starch noodles Sauce: 3 tbsp soy sauce, 2 ½ tbsp sugar, 2 tbsp sesameoil, 2 tbsp minced garlic, 2 tbsp roasted sesame seeds
- 1 small carrot
- 1 small onion
- 4-5 dried shiitake mushrooms
- 1 bunch spinach
- vegetable oil for stir frying
- 1/2 bunch broccoli if prefer
- salt and pepper
- 3 tbsp soy sauce, 2 ½ tbsp sugar, 2 tbsp sesame oil, 2 tbsp minced garlic, 2 tbsp roasted sesame seeds
- Alternatively, you can use our Japchae Seasoning sauce(150g)
- Combine all sauce ingredients in a small bowl and mix well until the sugar is dissolved.
- Cut the carrot into match sticks. Thinly slice the onion. Cut the spring onion into similar lengths.
- (Optional)Cut the beef into thin 2-inch long strips and mix with 1 tablespoon of the sauce.
- Cut the stems off the mushrooms, and slice into 1/4-inch thin strips. Season with 1tablespoon of the sauce.
- Blanch the spinach in boiling water only until wilted. Drain quickly and shock in cold water. Squeeze out excess water, cut into about 2-inch lengths, and lightly season with salt and pepper.
- Bring a pot of water to a boil and cook the noodles according to the package directions (usually 6 – 7 minutes). Rinse in cold water and drain. Cut the noodles with kitchen shears or a knife into 6 -7 inch lengths. Mix in 2tablespoons of the prepared sauce in a large bowl.
- In a large non-stick saucepan, stir fry the noodles over medium heat, stirring frequently, until translucent and a bit sticky (about 4minutes). Transfer back to the bowl.
- Add 1/2tablespoon of oil to the pan, and stir fry the onion until translucent over medium high heat, lightly sprinkling with salt and pepper. When the onion is almost done, stir-in the scallion and cook briefly. Transfer to the bowl with the noodles. Stir fry the carrot for 1 to 2 minutes until softened. (Do not overcook. The vegetables should be crisp.) Transfer to the bowl.
- Stir mushrooms together for 2 – 3 minutes. Transfer to the bowl.
- Add the spinach and the remaining sauce to the bowl with all other prepared ingredients
- Toss well by hand or a tong. Adjust the seasoning to taste by adding a little more (start with 1/2 teaspoon) soy sauce and/or sugar as necessary.Gentle sprinkle of sesame seeds in the top and enjoy!