Ultimate Crispy Seafood Pancake
Ultimate Crispy Seafood Pancake (Haemul Pajeon, 해물전)
Haemul pajeon is a popular Korean savoury pancake made with fresh spring onion and mixed seafood. With this easy seafood pancake recipe, you can enjoy your restaurant favourite at home. It is normally enjoyed with Korean traditional alcoholic drink, Makguli, which is made with rice and yeast.
- 250 g Mixed seafood
- 2 Spring onions
- 100 g Korean Pancake Mix (or substitute with ½ cup flour, ½ cup potato starch, ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 3/4 icy cold water
- 4 tsp Vegetable oil
- 1 beaten egg (optional)
- Prepare mixed seafood and spring onion, draining excess water. (Wet ingredients will make pancake soggy.)
- Cut the spring onion in half crosswise. Cut the white part of the spring onion length wise if thick.
- In a large bowl, mix 1/2 of the drained seafood with 100g Korean Pancake Mix with icy cold water. You may need a couple more tablespoons of water but add one tablespoon at a time. For a crispy pajeon, the batter should be relatively thin).
- Heat 3 to 4 tablespoons of vegetable oil in a non-stick pan over medium high heat, ladle 1/2 of the mixture into the pan and spread it evenly into a thin round shape.
- Arrange the spring onion in a single layer on top of the batter, pressing them down into the batter. Add the 1/2 of the remaining seafood.
- Spoon one half of the optional lightly beaten egg on top. Cook until the bottom is golden brown (3 – 4 minutes).
- Reduce the heat to medium if the pancake is browning too fast. Flip and cook for another 3 – 4 minutes.
- Repeat the process with the remaining batter and ingredients. Serve hot off the pan with dipping sauce.
Dipping sauce 2 tsp soy sauce, 2 tsp water, 2 tsp vinegar, 1 finely chopped garlic (optional)