Korean Sweet Chilli Chicken
Korean Sweet Chilli Chicken (Yangyum Chicken, 양념치킨)
Korean Fried Chicken is very crispy and it is the crispiness that defines its uniqueness as Korean Fried Chicken. Crispy Chicken is then coated with Sweet Chilli Sauce, which is made with Gochujang.The Spicy and Sweet flavour of the sauce is a perfect combination with this fried chicken.
- 1 kg Chicken wings
- Vegetable Oil
- 1 tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 100 g corn starch
Korean sweet chilli sauce
- 3 cloves garlic (minced), 1 tsp gochujang, 2 tsp ketchup,2 tsp sugar
- Garnish (Optional) : Peanuts, Sesame seeds
- In a deep pot over medium-high heat, heat 4 to 6 cups vegetable oil to 180°C
- In a small bowl, combine salt, pepper, baking powder,and garlic powder.
- Pat wings dry with paper towels, then rub with grated ginger and season with salt mixture.
- In a large bowl, toss wings with corn starch and squeeze to compress coating onto each wing.
- Carefully add wings to oil and fry until skin is just lightly crisped and golden, occasionally flipping with tongs, about 10 to 15minutes.
- Remove wings from oil and set aside on prepared plate. Let rest briefly.
- Heat frying oil to 180°C. Return wings to pot and fry again until deeply golden and skin is crisp and crunchy, about 5 to 7 minutes. Remove wings from oil and place in a large mixing bowl.
- Make sauce: In a medium saucepan over medium-low heat, mix garlic, gochujang, ketchup, sugar and cook until bubbling. Stir until bubbling and slightly thickened.
- Pour sauce over wings and toss until evenly coated. Add in peanuts and toss to combine (This is optional)
- Garnish with sesame seeds before serving
- If you prefer boneless chicken, you can use chicken thighs to create boneless Korean Fried Chicken.