SHOP INGREDIENTS FOR THIS RECIPE
Korean Stir-fried rice cake
Spicy Stir-Fried Rice Cake (Tteobokki, 떡볶이)
Tteobokki is stir fried spicy rice cake. (Also spelt Tteokbokki). It is one of the most popular street foods in Korea. Fish cake, boiled egg, and spring onion are most common ingredients paired with Tteobokki.
- 350 g Rice cakes
- 150 g Fish Cakes (cut into bitesize)
- 2 cups Dried kelp water or 1/2 cup soup stock concentrate with 2 cups of water
- 60 g onion (thinly sliced)
- 3 tsp Gochujang (Korean fermented chilli paste)
- 1 1/2 tsp Sugar
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- Garnish: 1 tsp roasted sesame seeds, 1 tsp sesame oil, 1spring onion (chopped)
- Unless your rice cakes are soft already, soak them in warm water for 10 mins.
- Boil the stock in a shallow pot over medium high heat and dissolve the tteokbokki sauce by stirring it with a spatula. Once the seasoned stock is boiling, add the rice cakes, fish cakes and onion.
- Boil them a further 3 to 5 mins until the rice cakes are fully cooked. Then to reduce the sauce, simmer it over low heat for a further 2 to 4 mins.
- Add the sesame oil, sesame seeds, and green onion then quickly stir. Serve warm!