SHOP INGREDIENTS FOR THIS RECIPE
Warm Rice Cake Soup
Warm Rice Cake Soup (Tteokguk, 떡국)
Tteokguk is a Korean style thinly-sliced rice cake stew. This starchy and soothing bowl of stew is not only a New Year’s tradition but is classic comfort food any time of year!
- 2 spring onions
- 2 cloves garlic (crushed)
- palm size dried kelp
- 400 g beef such as brisket
- 10 cups water
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp Korean Soy sauce for soup
- 500 g Sliced rice cake (washed under cold water)
For beef seasoning
- 2 tbsp Korean soup soy sauce
- 1 tsp Sugar
- 1 tsp Sesame oil
- 1/4 tsp Black pepper
- 1 tsp Sesame seeds (crushed)
- 2 Cloves garlic (chopped)
- 1 Spring onion (chopped)
- Garnish: 2 Eggs, Pinch of salt, vegetable oil, Dried seasoned seaweed
- In a large pot, add spring onions, garlic, dried kelp, beef and water. Cover, bring it to boil over high heat, remove the kelp and skim the scums on the surface as needed. When the broth looks clean, cover then reduce heat to medium and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Remove the beef and set aside. Remove all the solid ingredients in the pot and discard. Season the soup with salt and soy sauce. Cover and keep it warm.
- Chop up the beef into fine pieces and season with soysauce, sugar, sesame oil, black pepper sesame seeds, garlic and spring onions.Mix well with your hand with squeezing action and set aside.
- Now, increase heat to high and add rice cakes into the broth. Keep stirring until it starts boiling and from the boiling point, cook the rice cakes 2 to 3 minutes or until it gets soft. Stir frequently because rice cakes are easy to be stuck on the bottom of the pot.
Serve rice cake soup in a bowl, sprinkle some chopped spring onions if you like and garnish with the beef mixture, white and yellow egg omelettes and sliced dried seasoned seaweed if prefer. Enjoy!